Thursday, April 06, 2006

50% reservation - How's that ?

Politicians can go to any level to fill their vote banks. Now govt. is introducing 27% reservation for OBCs in 20 Central Universities including IITs and IIMs and probably that may be later extended to private institutions like ours as well. Add to it the 22.5% already present for SC/ST - total 49.5% seats are reserved. And in the remaining 50.5%, remember that we also have 33% reservation for girls!!!. So that leaves just 33.835% of total seats for GENERAL boys. WTF???
Don't we had already so much reservation?
And first of all, I don't understand why a reservation on the basis of caste/community?
Everyone knows that the benifit of reservation goes only to the better ones of the caste. It should be rather based on economic backwardness rather than social, if at all it is. Or a better idea would be to provide scholarships to the economic backward right from the primary schools to the university level intead of providing reservations.
And when Congress is introducing it, no major party seems to be opposing as it may effect their vote banks. So, its left on us to stop the govt. from enforcing this rule. In fact, SMS protests have already started :-
"Think about it, if you're giving your Class XII exams or trying for a masters in JNU, 50 per cent of all the seats are reserved. Let's start a campaign against this insanity.
- Angry Students"
One good thing about OBC reservation is that the reservation does not cover "Creamy layer". Persons having gross annual income of Rs.2.50 lakh and above come under creamy layer. Still, 27% is too much. Why not make a creamy layer rule for SC/ST as well? I guess politicians can't do that as SC/ST have long enjoyed this reservation without this rule and will protest against a change whereas OBC reservation was introduced later and the creamy layer rule was from the begining itself. But still, the creamy layer rule can easily be abused by non-salaried people.

TechnoratiTechnorati: , , ,

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i completely agree with u.
There should be no reservation on the basis of caste/community/gender.
Economical aid should be provided to students from poor
background but no point in reserving seats.

u know who said...

ok, how abt me rmr'ing the chat when u told me tht perhaps u may also come under some kind of OBC n hence it'll b easy 4 u 2 get into iim.
is this post the outcome of frustration u might hav had when u said, "OH NO!!!, i come under the 'creamy layer' thing, n so no reservation for me':(( ". tsk, tsk.

Turbo said...

@u know who:
But i clarified to u that I m personally against reservation, even if I m benifitted. I saw one of my friend or rather just classmate got into iit with a very low rank coz of being a SC.
By the way, I wouldn't mind if I get some benifit :P

u know who said...

oh yeah, tht was a little satirical.
i know the ur a TRUE nationalist from deeeeeeep inside. *ME SALUTES THAT* :P

Maddy said...

Yes .... this policy really SUCKS...hmm... 1 strange qn revolving in mind ..
can't we(students) do anything regarding this???

Ankit Mathur said...

Can you imagine this happening in INDIA?

Government of India has a online Grievance forum at http://darpg-grievance.nic.in/

The government wants people to use this tool to highlight the problems they faced while dealing with Government officials or departments like Passport Office, Electricity board, BSNL/MTNL, Railways etc etc.

I know many people will say that these things dont work in India, but this actually works as one of our colleague in CSC found. The guy i'm talking about lives in Faridabad. Couple of months back, the Faridabad Municipal corporation laid new roads in his area and the residents were very happy about it. But 2 weeks later, BSNL dugged up the newly laid roads to install new cables which annoyed all the residents including this guy. But it was only this guy who used the above listed grievance forum to highlight his concern. And to his surprise, BSNL and Municipal corporation of faridabad was served a showcause notice and the guy recieved a copy of the notice in one week. Government has asked the MC and BSNL about the goof up as its clear that both the governent departments were not in sync at all.

So use this grievance forum and educate others who dont know about this facility. This way we can atleast raise our concerns instead of just talking about the 'System' in India.



Well I'd say if it really works perhaps its the time to start using it as a mechanism to appeal against the YET AGAIN QUOTA SYSTEM in educational instituitions.

Its for the betterment of people of india that we stand united against this move or, else at some stage perhaps sooner than later we'll find ourselves grappling with these insane laws.

Looking forward to some co-operation.
Ankit Mathur

Turbo said...

@maddy:
I guess we can try what Ankit Mathur has said. I have already done that. I posted the following grievance at this site :-

"""
Why is the govt. introducing this 27% reservation for OBCs. This will leave only 50% for the rest of us - the general candidates.

The argument being given by President that "we will have so many seats that reservations will be meaningless" is itself meaningless. By however amount you increase the seats, the seats in IIT/IIM will never match with the number of applicants. Increasing seats is same as increasing reservation. Its just being said to fool us. Finally OBCs WILL HAVE 27% out of total seats, if u increase seats. We don't care if seats are less or not. But if seats are less, then that should be less equally for all castes and creeds.

Its clearly evident this rule is being passed to appease OBCs to fill vote banks. Its high time now that our politicians raise themselves above this vote-bank issues and make laws that will help all of us equally and not only a particular society/caste.

I would like to point out to Mr. Arjun Singh that Dr. B.R. Ambedkar himself opposed reservations for more than a decade. He allowed reservations only for SC/ST saying that it would be scrapped off after 10 years. But no politician wanted to put their vote banks at risk.
But I must say to those politicians that now u r at less risk, because finally there are lot of ppl who are against reservation. If u contest an election saying that you will remove all reservations , you will surely win :D
"""

Anay said...

Appraisal of Reservations Policy

Protests against OBC quota in professional courses/ institutions are getting stronger and spreading in lengths and breadths of country. If we accept that – it is Vote Bank politics then we have to admit that – we are fighting a lost battle as far as outcome is concerned.

Also there shouldn’t be any doubt about our commitment for uplifting standard of living of economically and socially backward communities. But there is a feeling in my mind that protesters are losing their direction. As the current democratic system has failed to deliver and improve standard of living of masses, we have to offer sincere answers and raise serious questions when we oppose further reservations or reservations at all in education system.

I would like to raise a few questions which I think were missed by the protesters-

Performance Appraisal of Reservation Policy of Government of India- which I believe will tare the masks of so called Messiahs of Oppressed.

Like what is the expenditure on education and creating equal opportunities as per five year plans?

How much of it was actually provided and spent?

How much of it actually reached to projects for which it was allocated?

We should compare the amount provided for and work done – like number of schools started, facilities provided in school, efforts to bring kids to school etc.

How many students have benefited from the policy of reservations up till now?

Are there any particular castes – groups among backward castes that have benefited and castes which have marginally benefited?

Are there any particular regions that have done well through it?

Is there intra group discrimination – like backward and most backward among OBC, SC and ST?

How many people have actually benefited from reservations and whether their wards also continue to take support of these reserved seats?

There is Creamy Layer – for OBC and I guess it is like annual income of family less than INR 250000.

So questions are – How many upper caste families are below 250000 p.a. limit?

Is that Creamy Layer taken seriously- It is alleged that many beneficiaries of OBC quotas are from creamy layer but they simply don't disclose their correct family income and that goes unchecked.

Most important question is – If less than 10 % of Indian population is University Educated- it shows number of total seats available in our Universities. So even if 100 % of seats in professional institutions are reserved, how many years it will take to educate the students from backward castes?

Does government posses any road map about increase in number of seats in our Public Universities only which can be afforded by backward caste people?

Can we demand that Government should publish a White Paper on this issue which will help policy makers to decide course ahead.

Please help me to reach out with these points to protesting students. If you have email addresses of their organizations, do mail me at anayj@rediffmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey...not all hope is lost. The Supreme Court of India has stayed the order that enabled OBC quota in IIT/IIM and other institutes.

The SC also commented - 'Where will meritorious students go??'

Long Live the Justice.

Meanwhile - Arjun Singh, start counting your days...

Turbo said...

That is a good news!